May 21, 2012

Bubble Girl No More

Today I had a follow-up with the clinical trial doctor. Everything went swimmingly.

The last port tapping at UCH.
We reviewed the effects of the trial I've experienced. My ear ringing has improved over the last 5 weeks yet is still present and annoying. I'm still trying to use sound to mask the ringing. All signs indicate that the ear ringing will go away over time. 

If the clinical trial has any affirmative/positive findings, they will notify participants - as this may influence our future treatment(s). If the results aren't overwhelming in nature, I may be notified or have to seek them out myself. Since "results" from this trial aren't available when it ends (the results are really in what happens to us participants over time...especially in the 5 years post-trial), Dr. E seemed to think that preliminary results may be shared in ~3 years. 

They took several vials of blood but it was only a few minutes ago that I was able to get my hands on the results. My blood and body are rebounding; I no longer need to insulate myself from germs, travel, certain foods, etc. I am able to roam freely. What fantastic news to receive! Several of my critical bloodwork numbers are near or under "normal" ranges, but are improved over the bloodwork I had 2 weeks ago. Over the next few months, I should continue to see my strength/stamina improve, along with my immune function. (My immune system is still slightly weakened.)

Although I haven't noticed much peripheral neuropathy from the Cisplatin, Dr. E assured us that my body has experienced nerve damage from receiving a platinum drug. I may get a tingling/numb sensation in my hands, arms, feet, or legs as the nerves recover. This is normal and I'm not supposed to freak out if I experience the tingling sensation. Good to know.

The clinical trial will continue to monitor my health via follow-up appointments at my regular oncologist's office. These follow-ups will be every 4 months for years 1 and 2 post-trial and every 6 months for years 3-5.

Joshua and I plan on enjoying a sushi dinner tonight now that sushi is "back on the menu." And tomorrow morning, at long last, I'm headed to the pool for water aerobics. -- Can't think of a better way to begin my life outside the bubble!

YEEHAW!

9 comments:

~ AKJ ~ said...

FABULOUS news!! Yeehaw indeed!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! Looking forward to hanging out with you guys and eating lots of sushi!! Xx kim

mandi said...

I've really enjoyed reading your latest posts!! Great news!! Woohoo!!

Linda said...

Celebrating with you!!

Linda said...

Celebrating with you!!

Alexis said...

Welcome back from the bubble! Hope you enjoy each adventure and resume to a place of "normalacy." Its a great time of year to re-emerge & celebrate!

Laura said...

Kim: ANY time. Really!

Alexis: Indeed! It is a wonderful time to "emerge"...along with the plants and circle of life. I hope to get down and dirty this summer - the sky's the limit!

Amber said...

Congrats Laura! Thinking of you and sending lots of celebratory hugs!!! :) Amber

Chana said...

I'm behing in my blogging. This is WONDERFUL NEWS and when you are ready to do a day hike I'd be more than happy to join in. I'll take the day off and we can go explore.
Glad to hear good news...