July 20, 2012

Medical ID/Alert Bracelet

My bracelet.
I have an increased risk of lymphedema due to my double mastectomy surgery. To be more specific, it's primarily because of my right-side modified radical mastectomy: the entire breast was removed-including the tissue, areola, and nipple-as well as all lymph nodes in the armpit area.

Because of this risk, I believe it's a good idea to have a medical ID/alert bracelet on my right arm. If I am incapacitated in any way, the bracelet provides valuable information that can save me from getting "help" that could end up hurting me.

My engraved message is
"right arm: no needles - no bp"
After hemming and hawing about which bracelet to purchase (there are a TON of options out there), I decided on a stainless steel mesh bracelet...only to find out that the manufacturer had run out of right arm bracelets. Maddening! So the search began again and I found a suitable alternative (at a higher cost). There was an issue with the engraving, so I returned the original one sent to me. After all, if this bracelet is for medical personnel to read and interpret, the engraved message must be clear!

I was elated when the corrected bracelet arrived right before my first out-of-state trip. Perfect timing! I've worn it every day since receiving it and am happy with my choice. It's comfortable, doesn't pinch my skin or arm hair, and is rather low profile. Wearing this bracelet gives me a sense of security.

Some other medical alert bracelets are more fashionable, but isn't the point for medical personnel to see the alert easily? I wouldn't trust a fashionable bauble-studded bracelet to do the job...

4 comments:

~ AKJ ~ said...

I think yours is plenty stylish! And isn't it funny - I associate good things with the medic alert bracelet: My mom wore one until I was in high school. A gold disk on a chain. Seeing yours brought back that memory and made me smile. Glad you have some extra peace of mind!

Sarah said...

I agree quite stylish (and surprisingly stretchy...who knew?) I'm just glad you thought to get it regardless of what it looks like--smart move!

Laura said...

Ashley: if you're up for sharing, why did your mom have a bracelet? I'm glad you associate it with good things! I'm digging this one so far.

Sarah: DUH! I should have mentioned that it STRETCHES! Very nice and comfortable. Perhaps I'll add an addendum to this post - or write another quick one with a picture of it stretching.

Unknown said...

I think this is a same blog reading what i was searching. but i really enjoy that thanks for sharing!