March 23, 2013

Dinosaur Days

When talking with other BC people, I find it interesting to swap stories and hear other people's perceptions of their journey. One thing a gal said recently about her upcoming reconstruction surgery brought back some memories. I immediately recalled how frustrating it was to live like a T-Rex for quite a while post-surgery. Boy, am I glad the "dinosaur days" are over!

It couldn't be drawn much more clear than this!
(source)
I often referred to my physical limitations as making me like a T-Rex. Why? It's easy to understand if you were around me post-surgery or if you're a survivor yourself. If not, here's some reasoning why:

  • After surgery (for me, it was mastectomy surgery and switch-out surgery) you're directed to NOT lift your elbows for weeks after surgery.
  • Your pectoral muscles have been cut, moved, and sewn...you don't wanna mess up the healing process.
  • Even when the surgeon-imposed limitations are lifted, it's difficult to get your arms to move up - and when they do, you know it.
While I looked like a T-Rex (flailing my hands and forearms when I could), I felt like anything BUT "unstoppable" post-surgery. However, if I had a neat grabber tool like this T-Rex had...I might've been a wee bit unstoppable! On a whim, I just searched Amazon.com for "grabber tool" and it came up with a bunch of relevant items just like Mr. Rex has. If there ever comes a time when I need another surgery that effects my wingspan, count me getting one of these things! And if you're reading this blog and headed into surgery and like the idea - try it and let me know how it goes.   :)

2 comments:

Jo Myers said...

Great idea, Miz Rex!
Wish I'd had a grabber . . .
Jo

Laura said...

I know - smart idea, eh? Will have to keep that one in the back of my mind...