March 29, 2013

Life is Short

Jeney sent this picture to me last fall - around the time of my switch-out surgery. I took the time to read every word on the poster and it resonated deep within. I encourage you to take a couple of minutes and digest the poster, too:
(If you have a hard time reading this, click here for a typed version.)

The Holstee Manifesto.

With a little bit of digging, I found out that this is Holstee's manifesto. In 2009, when Holstee was still a fledgling project, its three founders got together and "wrote down exactly what was on their minds and the tips of their tongues. It wasn't about shirts and it wasn't about their old jobs. It was about what they wanted from life and how to create a company that breathes that passion into the world everyday. It was a reminder of what we live for."

Getting down to business:
using X-Acto tools to cut out each letter
of the manifesto.
Jeney decided she wanted to incorporate this manifesto in her home in a major way. So when Adam (my bro) came to visit us last fall, Jeney and a gaggle of her friends (bribed with beer and wings) took to the walls of their home and created something amazing. This is just a teensy sneak peek.

To read about her project and see more photos of the process and end result, check out Jeney's blog post about it.

I'd venture to guess many of us need little reminders or prods like this to stay on track. It's easy to get so wrapped up in the mundane, everyday stuff that it's hard to see the horizon in the distance. One can lose sight of their bigger goals and intentions. I occasionally find myself deviating from my intended path. More than ever, though, I'm committed to making corrections (continuous improvement!) and striving to find, develop, and pursue my interests and passions in life.

We've all heard "this isn't a dress rehearsal" before, haven't we? It's true!

This is our one shot. We're wise to make the most of it. Life is short - whether or not yours is "cut short." It flies by in the blink of an eye. So better get to livin'!

I never worry about the future. It always comes soon enough. 
-Albert Einstein

4 comments:

Sandy said...

This is awesome! What a wonderful reminder - I needed this! Thank you so much for taking time to put this together! I LOVE YOU!

Linda said...

Yes! I love seeking new adventures and passions. You are already doing that! Thanks for the reminder. It's Spring -- time for renewing a passion for hiking!

Alexis said...

So very true! Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Glad you all liked it. I still can't fathom cutting ALL THOSE LITTLE LETTERS with X-Acto knives...in a matter of days...all night long... oh boy!