April 9, 2013

Quotes, Mantras, Affirmations, and Creativity

Throughout my life, I've collected quotes, passages, and images that speak to me. Some are ridiculous, some sarcastic, some motivational, and others just plain neat that "stuck" for whatever reason.

Can't believe I found an old quote board. Wow!
Back in high school, I'd take large poster boards and write quotes all over them, using a variety of colors and changing up the handwriting for more visual interest. - Just like the picture to the right. Those were fun, inspirational, and are like time capsules to look at now. I also used to make big collage boards - for fun, a few are memorialized in this post.

The big breast cancer journey has provided a lot of quotes, mantras, and affirmations (it still does). I've been collecting them - not quite sure how they might be "used."

I'd like to share some here on the Ta-Ta Times blog. Who knows who reads all this. I figure a decent portion of people that read it aren't cancer folk themselves, yet they can still glean information from what I post (or so I like to think!). And for the "others" -- those dealing with chronic illness, the Big C, or just plain ol' hard times, I hope you find these future little snippets comforting and reassuring. I do.

Click pics to zoom - if you dare!

I remember making this one over a year or two.
Slowly but surely, every nook was occupied.
A few remnants have fallen off... 




A few collages.
Their subject matter catapults me back in time.


4 comments:

Sandy said...

I remember your collections! Very creative! We had one of your colorful posterboards of quotes for a long time! During the house remodel, I relocated so many items and now I am not sure where that is! I will be looking for it! Another great blog post! Great ideas for others too!

Sarah said...

This was quite fun to read, Laura! It was neat to see what piqued your interest and attention at different times in your life. Some of the ads and such sent ME way back too...what a neat way to capture those times in your life. I have to say that I noticed the blurred-out envelope ; ) Also, a variation of one of your quotes (and one which my dad used to always say), "This is the first day of the rest of your life."

Many thanks for this trip down memory lane.

Laura said...

Sandy - I'd forgotten about the one I made for you all! If you find it, would you send a pic to me for fun? :)

Sarah, a.k.a. Ms. Super-Sleuth - You soak up ALL the details, don't you? There are three fuzzed-out parts. Just in case there are any freaks out there who also enjoy internet recon. I'm glad you found the content interesting!

~ AKJ ~ said...

OH man, I made collages like that all the time throughout middle and high school. I recently found a bunch and had the same feeling of being catapulted back in time - I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them, despite the cringe factor more than a few times! Glad I'm not the only one who has hung on to those little pop cultural time capsules. :)