January 31, 2014

Prescriptions for Fruits & Veggies?

A yummy fruit, veg, and herb medley we made.

Images from nwedible.com.












New York City has instituted a program - a fruit and vegetable prescription program. The basic premise? "It allows doctors to 'prescribe' fresh fruit and vegetables to overweight or obese patients by giving them 'Health Bucks' that are redeemable at local farmer's markets."

One part of me thinks: great idea.

The other part says: is this what our nation's eating problems have come to?

What do you think? I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

Here is the Hungry for Change article I read about this program.

Wholesome Wave is the group that has the Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program™ in addition to their Double Value Coupon Program and Healthy Food Commerce Investments.

-   -   -   -   - 

Since the subject of today's post is fruit and veggies, I thought this would be a great place to insert this helpful graphic on how to find a "just right" avocado. I always thought it was a guessing game based on feel and color, but this makes it simple and has helped me find perfectly ripe avocados. Yummy!

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Laura, I am with you...can go both ways. But I would be interested to see if the "health bucks" would help! It is so frustrating to stand in the checkout line behind someone buying "junk" with their govt stamps! Some have the "perception" that it costs more to eat healthy - but the trade off with the items they WOULD NOT be purchasing would certainly help! You and I know the extra time it takes to prepare veggies into those delicious dishes rather than opening a bag, nuking it and eating all the processed stuff. Would they learn to do that? As you can see, I am all over the page so I guess I will stop :) Love you gal! Soon!

Laura said...

I like your 'stream of consciousness' writing, Sandy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope others chime in, too.