June 17, 2012

Pilates

In January of this year, I committed to attend a once-a-week Pilates class for 1 month. The class is offered through OncologyRehab, where I receive lymphatic massages. I noticed a definite positive change in my core strength and muscle tone, so decided to go back in May and June - after the clinical trial. I also plan on revisiting Pilates class after my switch-out surgery.

Shannon instructing class.
She modifies movements based on our individual abilities.

Shannon Pascoe
Pilates is an excellent way to condition and gain strength, flexibility, and overall body symmetry while minimizing impact on joints. Shannon Pascoe, PT, DPT is a certified pilates instructor who has experience working with different medical populations and is able to adjust exercise as needed. Shannon will develop an individualized pilates based exercise program focusing on impairments experienced by the patient. (this paragraph copied from OncologyRehab's web site)

Shannon is a positive, upbeat instructor that's willing to put up with our (at times) talkative group and yet manage to get down to "business time" on the mats. She changes exercises up for each session, which keeps things interesting. We use all sorts of accessories to get in a great Pilates workout: a Magic Circle, yoga mat, foam rollers, round weights, stretch bands, and stability balls. Shannon is familiar with our physical limitations, so she's prepared to give us alternatives tailored to our abilities.





The Magic Circle looks like a friendly little thing...but boy, can it make you do a lot of work! I liked its compact design and multi-use so much that I purchased one here on Amazon!



I LOVE the feeling of my core being sore (in a good way) in the days following Pilates class. Weeks of chemotherapy usually lead to decreased activity = soft tummy syndrome (STS). Pilates is a low impact way to fight back against STS! It's also been a good way for me to meet other survivors.

Try it - you just might like it!


No comments: