June 4, 2012

Survivor Anniversary

Yesterday was a special day to me. It marked a new anniversary date in my life. A year ago yesterday, I received results from a breast biopsy I'd had the day before: the "suspicious" lump in my breast was invasive breast cancer. How easy it is to type that sentence now - and how difficult it was to wrap my head around a year ago.

My, we've all come a long way since June 3, 2011! This blog has provided a wonderful way to spread news, share information, and educate about my personal journey through and beyond breast cancer. Thank you, readers, for following along and making me feel like my writings are important, useful, interesting, and sometimes humorous.

Naturally, Joshua and I couldn't let an anniversary slip by without doing something to commemorate the occasion. We printed out a Groupon and headed out for...SUSHI! :) See a trend? Thought so.

So it's only fitting that today I met with my plastic surgeon to discuss the "next step" - the lovely switch-out surgery. First off, he thought my breast skin looked good and handled radiation nicely. That felt wonderful to hear coming from him! He didn't think there would be any benefit to me waiting above and beyond my 6-month window post-radiation for the switch-out surgery. (Music to my ears, but I'd do pretty much anything he'd recommend if I knew it would help my body and its reaction to this upcoming surgery.)

Although the expanders have done their job (stretching my skin to accommodate the implants), I'm of the opinion that I've lived with them long enough. They will have been in me 9 months and 6 days, to be exact! Definitely looking forward to the softer, movable implants. Now I'll cut to the chase: switch-out surgery will be on July 31. Oh, happy day!

6 comments:

~ AKJ ~ said...

Woohoo! So glad I can wish you a HAPPY anniversary!

Monica said...

What a great day! Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!

Amber said...

Happy Anniversary! Can't believe it's been a year! You've come such a long way in that time. It's amazing how much can happen in one year and how much one can learn and grow. Big hugs friend! Amber

Sandy said...

So much behind you! Now...all the plans and activities you were looking forward to...let the good times roll! Today is a really great day...everyday! Blessings!

Brandon said...

Way to kick it in the boob laura, you are tenacious.

Yes my comment is late..but still sincere. I'm very happy for you two.

Laura said...

Thanks to you all for your acknowledgement and encouragement. Means a lot to this survivor!