January 24, 2013

Our Insurance Company DKS*

I suppose insurance companies are a necessary evil. While I am oh-so-glad to have the coverage we do, I occasionally get a little nuts-o when dealing with them. Like to the point where my head might do an Exorcist-type spin. It's not easy being your own advocate amidst an industry full of red tape. 

Anyway...

Our insurance company sent some interesting mail to me last week. It looked informative, touting a confidential health care summary and custom recommendations for "health opportunities" based on information received from my care providers and pharmacies. 

Okay, simple enough, right? 

Guess not. 

Look at this picture. See anything odd?


How about if I zoom in for you?



Seriously?!! One of my recommended opportunities is to have a mammogram this year? Hello, insurance: I'm no longer a candidate for that procedure - haven't been since October 2011. Sure seems like a techno-geek could make some check-boxes in a data entry form so that the double mastectomy subscribers don't get this in the mail. 

Granted, there's the "if this applies to you" CYA phrase in there, so I can't really go off on this, but it strikes me as puzzling. Mostly, I'm humored by this document. Still, it does have a cutting edge.

*DKS = doesn't know sh*t

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Total BS - this "personalized health note" seems to be just another form letter...Gotta love the insurance companies!