January 11, 2013

Yoga

Our yoga class isn't about being a human pretzel.
Silly Stephanie was getting ahead of herself!
I'm taking a weekly yoga class at Oncology Rehab where I also receive lymphatic massages, get help with my range of motion, and take Pilates classes (which I've blogged about before).

Brianna, our yoga sensei.
Her hands are in lotus mudra.
I've found this yoga class to be vital to my mental health. It's easy to see the physical benefits by way of improved flexibility, strength, and posture. I've also gained new confidence with my modified body and its capabilities. The price is fair, the teacher is knowledgeable (about yoga AND survivors' bodies), the "chemosabes" are friendly, and the personal gain is priceless!

Things we learn about and focus on in our classes:

  • yoga poses (obvious, but...)
  • chakras (locations, elements, colors, meanings)
  • being content with what our bodies are able to do that day; each session is different
  • breathing techniques
  • focusing on yourself; not comparing to others
  • hand mudras

What's a mudra? A symbolic gesture involving the hands and fingers.

Brianna's hands are in lotus mudra (above): by touching the base of the palms together, touching the tips of the pinky fingers, and touching the tips of the thumbs together. The inner 3 fingers form a cup to complete the lotus blossom.

The 7 chakras. Click to enlarge.
(source)
This mudra is good for times of loneliness, as an open heart can bring love and companionship back into your life.

In Buddhism, the lotus blossom represents a heart opening. The lotus flower blooms on the surface of water, with its roots deep below in mud—making it a symbol of light and beauty emerging from darkness. The fingers resemble a lotus flower unfolding. Feel connected to your roots, and remember that the greatest source of steadiness in life is an awakened heart. (source)




A beautiful wall
hanging with mudra.
(source)
To add an affirmation to mudras, you can say them (in your head, or everyone's gonna hear you!) on each inhale, such as:
“I open my heart to receive whatever comes my way today.”
"I'm a creative being."
"Every cell inside me vibrates with health and energy."
"I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life."
"Today I'm a kick-a$$ survivor."
"I am satisfied with where I'm at today."
"Loving myself heals my life." 
Still not sold on this new-agey activity? Open yourself up to the possibilities. And get with the times: 1 in 10 Americans practices yoga! Not that I just used the ol' "everybody's doing it" argument or anything ... oops. You don't have to take my word for it, either. Check out this Health Benefits of Yoga infographic. It's not so much graphic as it is information, but the benefits are clear: circulation, stress, heart disease, depression, back pain...the list goes on.

You can even take a moment to focus inward
and practice a mudra while snowshoeing. 
ANYone can come to these yoga classes (meaning able-bodied, modified, radiated, broken, healing, whatever you are). If you live in Colorado, this resource might be just what you're looking for:

Yoga classes at Oncology Rehab

Wednesday evenings  6-7pm
Friday afternoons  1-2pm  

email Brianna : brianna@oncologyrehab.net 
or 
call the front desk : (720) 306-8261







No comments: