March 14, 2012

Bouncing Back

Wanted to get in a quick blog post today. I'm feeling better and much more "normal" now. Last week's treatment definitely put a curb on my enthusiasm and energy level for a solid week. All weekend I was pretty pooped, but did rally to go on an outdoor walk with Joshua, which felt great. The fatigue hits pretty hard and long with cisplatin and the ear ringing switches into obnoxious gear at the turn of the weekend, it seems. I'm now convinced that constant ear ringing could drive a person mad. I have my moments on those days!

All in all, I'm pleased with the side effects I'm experiencing. It's NOT extreme nausea and vomiting; for that I remain so thankful. That's the worst feeling in the world to me - nausea. So avoiding that, even with other symptoms that are challenging, is okay by me. There's always go to be something, right? ;)

I'm about to start slipping towards another WBC low point (nadir). The onset of this happens ~10 days after treatment and lasts from days 14-23. I only have 21 days in my cycle between treatments, so my counts will remain low. Please keep my treatment schedule in your thoughts/prayers; I'd like to be able to make the next treatments happen as planned so I can knock out the remaining 7.5 weeks of this trial and move on to greener pastures.

Feeling more like myself really helps me mentally. So does the sunshine and 70+ degree temperatures we're experiencing this week. It's fantastic! Living day by day. Doing what I can. Feeling the love.

Life is good.


3 comments:

Elana Rogers said...

Don't laugh, but I tried medical mary-jane candies and snacks during my chemo treatments and they totally helped with the nausea. Edibles worked much better than the "old fashion" way. ;-) Also try ginger-infused loose leaf organic tea! Whole-foods sells it. Ginger is an amazing nausea inhibitor (and reduces inflammation). You go girl! XOX

Alexis said...

Glad to hear that nausea has not chosen to visit you and that you are bouncing back!

Walking 40 minutes last week? That is amazing! I wish you continued health and high blood counts as you continue through the clinical trial!

Laura said...

I didn't laugh, Elana. Maybe smiled a bit. Hey, if it helps - don't knock it!

@Alexis: What a nice "break" to get - not experiencing debilitating nausea as expected. Thanks for your kudos. Walking still feels a little slow paced, but I know jogging isn't for me right now. We've got to do what we can!