March 17, 2012

Radiation Images

I've wanted to share these for some time, but keep forgetting to do so. The following are a small offering of radiation images I was able to get from the radiation dosimetrist. Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me!

*Click on the pictures to enlarge.

This picture shows a 3D rendering of my lungs and heart. You can kind-of see my unique looking armpit - more hollow since those lymph nodes were taken.


This is like a deli slice through my entire body at chest height. This was taken during one of my planning sessions for radiation. It's when the right side was expanded much further than the left side. The "shine" or "glare" you see in this picture is the xray hitting the expander magnet. The colored lines represent where various levels of radiation will penetrate in my body.


A set of four images; each taken from a different angle. There's a fat green guy in the bottom left of each picture showing my body orientation. Again, various line colors represent different levels of radiation; they wanted to focus sometimes on my chest skin and other times deeper (to the chest wall). In the top right image, you can see colored lines around my lungs and spine; this was used to help block out as much of these vital pieces of me as possible from the radiation. The yellow rectangle in the same image is where radiation was focused on my neck lymph nodes.


Four more images of me taken at varying angles. Colored lines show planes of radiation and radiation amounts at various penetrating depths. The top right image shows a bit more of the expander magnet/port area. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I've never seen anything like these--fascinating! Is it kind of freaky to see cross-sections of yourself?

Laura said...

@Sarah - I totally agree! They are fascinating. No, not really freaky to see these images. Only to think of me being sliced up - that's freaky. The PET scan was a little freaky; I might take a video of it and post it sometime.