July 17, 2013

'Tis the Season...

...for SUNSCREEN!

Boy, have I had [more than] my fair share of bad sunburns:

 Sunburn acquired while honeymooning.
Hawai'i, 2004

Now that most of us have emerged from our dwellings to enjoy summer sunshine, it's time to apply sunscreen. Did you know all sunscreens aren't created equally? It's true.

Waaaaay back in the early stages of my cancer treatments, I watched a documentary that spoke to me: Crazy Sexy Cancer. It's based on Kris Carr's own battle with cancer - stage IV cancer found in her liver and lungs in 2002. While I didn't/don't subscribe 100% to all of her recommendations, the documentary was jam-packed with information. I took what spoke to me and incorporated it into my own life. I now have the same approach with her email 'digest' I receive once weekly.

In early June, the focus was on sunscreens. While I knew some sunscreens contained freaky toxins, I wasn't sure quite what to do about it, who to trust, and what to spend my money on. This article helped me. In case you don't want to read the full article, here are some excerpts and tips to help point you dear blog readers in a different direction when making choices about that next bottle of sunscreen. After all, we do vote with our money!

To begin with, look for these 'red flags' when reading sunscreen ingredients:
What: Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate or “retinol”).
Why: Linked to increased cancer cell growth.

What: Oxybenzone.
Why: Hormone disrupter—experts caution against using it on children.

What: Powder or spray mineral-based sunscreens (usually on ingredient label as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide).
Why: These ingredients are typically safe in lotion form, but can cause internal damage if inhaled.


Have you heard of the Environmental Working Group (EWG)?
EWG is an American environmental organization that specializes in research and advocacy in the areas of toxic chemicals, agricultural subsidies, public lands, and corporate accountability.
Stephanie, a BC friend of mine, introduced me to this organization sometime this May/June. Since then, I've used their databases to look up products we had at home that I thought were safe (many weren't!) as well as ones I've considered buying - this organization's work has helped me make more informed and clear decisions when purchasing cosmetics, sunscreens, produce...the list goes on.

To help you on your quest, here are some of EWG’s top-rated sun care products in the sunscreen category - for adults and kids:
  • Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Sunscreen, Green Tea, SPF 30+
  • Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Sport Stick Sunscreen, SPF 30+
  • Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
  • Green Screen D Organic Sunscreen, Original, SPF 35
  • Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen with Hydresia, SPF 40
  • Releve’ Organic Skincare by Emerald Essentials Sun-Lite Sunscreen, SPF 20
  • Seventh Generation Wee Generation Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30

"There's an app for that!"
Yes, it's true. There are two apps available for the iphone (one for the iPad) created by the EWG. They are working on others. 

The Dirty Dozen: a list of foods with the highest pesticide residue (also complimented by the 'Clean 15' - a list of foods with the lowest pesticide residue).

EWG Sunscreen Buyer's Guide: Isn't it self-explanatory? I think so.

Now that I'm armed with strong and broad UV protection with few safety concerns, it's time to get out and enjoy some more of that Colorado sunshine!





2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks Laura! Good information! I just completed applying sunscreen to go out in the pasture and cut down more tree sprouts! Now I will go look at the ingredients! I am also wearing a shirt with UV protection and...a crazy looking LARGE hat :) Thanks for the post! Love you!

Alexis said...

Ouch, that sunburn picture looks bad! Great, informative post. I love the EWG and use it all the time as a reference tool.