July 29, 2013

Medical ID/Lymphedema Alert Bracelet Update

Time for another personal BC-related update. The summer is flying by way too fast, yet I'm enjoying going and doing - something I haven't been really able to do the two summers previous. More on that later - possibly. :)

I'd like to bring attention to medical ID bracelets again.

About this time last year, I blogged about my first medical bracelet. It was a good friend - while it lasted. During my trip to Boerne, TX this year, it spontaneously flew off my wrist in several pieces (completely unprovoked, I might add!) and broke in a way that I could not repair. See what happened:
I have its bits and pieces & hope to have it repaired.
Still, a major bummer.

Luckily, I brought a second medical ID bracelet with me. It is more rugged and I purchased this one to take with me while participating in "sporty" things (hiking, biking, anything needing sunscreen application, and other dirty-making activities).

I think this bracelet has a smart design: adjustable and easy-to-use Velcro, durable materials that can stand up to a beating, waterproof, machine washable, and a handy-dandy inside pocket for customized and important medical information.
This bracelet from Amazon came with
2 foldable (and waterproof) ID cards.
It holds important customized medical information
about me in case I'm incapacitated and
need medical attention.

This lightweight, durable medical bracelet really saved me on my trip! Not having a medical alert bracelet makes me anxious - the peace of mind it gives me is powerful. And it is so important that medical personnel know to not poke me with needles nor take my blood pressure on my right arm! What a mess that could easily lead to...

While the above bracelet came to my rescue, I did prefer to have something a little less "sporty" for everyday use (something I can wear with normal clothes and when I dress up). That led me to start searching for a durable metal bracelet that could (hopefully) stand the test of time. I settled on the one shown below - and truly hope this one lasts for years and years. I chose to have it engraved with my specific medical information, too. (After all, what good does having a medical alert bracelet without information in/on it do if you aren't able to think clearly or speak to those trying to help you?!)

FYI and a tip for others:  When wearing a medical bracelet, I think it's a good choice to let that be the only bracelet on your arm. Some medical bracelets out there look like charm bracelets and hide the important "medical alert" well. To me, that seems to totally defeat the purpose of having it in the first place. While this is a lower-profile bracelet, it has the medical symbol on it + special instructions and it is the only thing I wear on my right arm (besides ye olde lovely lymphedema sleeve / glove / gauntlet when needed), so I think there's a greater possibility of someone noticing it if ever I'm in that situation.

It's also a great reminder to myself! On one of my follow-ups at the oncologist's office last year, I started hollering like a crazy cat lady when the blood pressure machine began pumping on my right arm - I had totally forgotten about my limitation. I freaked out the nurse tech (and myself), but she stopped the machine promptly and all was well.  That was when I knew I needed a visual reminder - for others as well as for myself - and it prompted me to get my first bracelet.

Think about it - it could save you and others from a lot of pain and agony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information! Could you please tell me where you purchased your metal medical ID bracelet?

Laura said...

Hi, Anon.
I'm assuming you mean the latest metal bracelet - pictured atop an orange box. I usually put in links of where I purchased items, but negledted to do so. I bought it from James Avery Craftsman - below is a link directly to the bracelet on their site. They usually expedite medical ID bracelets because of their urgent nature. I got mine quickly.
http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry/search/product/B-268L/Physician_E.M.T.-Alert-on-Giotto-Bracelet/

Jo Myers said...

Also at risk for lymphedema, I wear a meddy bracelet and no other jewelry on my wrists or fingers. Therefore, I've been giving away rings and bracelets to loved ones. It tickles me to see how touched they are to receive these baubles from me in person. Great blog, LaLa!