January 17, 2012

Massage Therapy

Last summer, I found a brochure for a massage therapist at my oncologist's office. And like many other past actions in my life, I thought about calling her six ways to Sunday before actually making my move. Would massage help me through chemotherapy treatments? Probably couldn't hurt! Especially during the second week of each cycle, when I bounced back physically and had residual effects from bone pain and sitting/laying in one place for too long.

Ann with a singing bowl.
Enter Ann M., CMT. I was sold after my first visit with her and made regular appointments to last through my chemo treatments and lead me into surgery. She has advanced education in neuromuscular massage, vibrational healing, and oncology massage. Her tool set made me feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with receiving a massage. She is also familiar with the lymphatic system and how to massage post-surgery. She is an angel of goodness in my life and I am so glad she's part of my team!

I love entering her massage space. It's a light blue color, reminiscent of calm waters or a cloudless sky. There's a few pops of red in the room, namely the lamps. She also has a host of angels in the room, which I enjoy and find comforting. There's nothing but good vibes and comfort in that sacred room!


Where the magic happens.

The bare necessities:
balance and hydration!
We start each session by talking about how I'm feeling. Is there anything new to know about or out of whack since last time? What treatments are planned for the future? What would I like her to focus on? Sometimes we also add a special meditation for a card that I pick randomly from a pile. These cards have all been great reminders or things to focus on throughout my treatment. For instance: the card I picked right before the Christmas holiday was "balance." How apropos! Ann read a page accompanying the card (with word definition, word origin, and things to consider when trying to balance).

Then we begin. I usually choose to begin our session with a meditation. Ann guides the meditation time and uses singing bowls and ohm tuning forks for added relaxation. Her massages are not intrusive or painful, like some massages can be. She uses hot stones and bamboo to work muscles gently.

I'm appreciative of conventional Western medicine - after all, it has helped me. Even so, I'm equally thankful for the "alternative" medicines I've sought out: reiki, meditation, acupuncture, pilates, lymphatic PT, and massage. It's a privilege to not have to work during this life adventure. The "extra" time allows me to not only fit in all of the recommended treatments, but also some medical-related appointments that I can look forward to!

Thank you, Ann, for your healing touch and continual support. You're an inspiration to me.

Ann Martin, CMT
303-378-6250

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post schatzi, I love the pics!!

Vickie Aversman said...

You are so fortunate to have these people in your life. I totally agree that they can be so helpful in fighting the fight. Only the best in the New Year to you!

Alexis said...

Great post...I never even thought about including massage into my treatment process. I did work with a psychologist to learn relaxation techniques (meditation, deep breathing, visualization, etc) and that seemed to work.

My mom does reiki, but I'm still at the point where I feel its hokey (i.e. I'm not convinced).

Laura said...

Alexis: I didn't know massage was a possibility, but I inquired and figured I'd fit it in whenever I felt good enough to do so. It was like giving my body some love after it was beaten down by chemo, surgery, etc. What a great thing to do for ourselves - whether we have cancer or not. Massage is wonderful.

I know what you mean about reiki. I was also skeptical about it. Check out a past post I did with the title "Reiki" (http://www.tatatimes.blogspot.com/2011/10/reiki.html) for my take on it. :)

Quentin Edberg said...

Undergoing massage therapy while receiving medical treatment is like a breath of fresh air. It helps you forget the stress of hospitalization and medication therapy. Also, it feels great to know that you are having this therapy not because you’re ill, but because you just want to relax. I’m glad that you found it helpful. How are you now, Laura?

Regards,
Quentin Edberg