April 23, 2012

Foodgasms

image from damascusgrill.com
As I was munching on some hummus and a pita at lunch, out of my mouth came "mmm...foodgasm!" Food is something I've had a decent relationship with throughout life; recently, it's turned into a slight obsession.

Why?

I'm not sure. Here's my hypothesis: in days immediately post-chemo, I'm not as hungry as usual and non-spicy food is king. When I start emerging from this gastronomic funk, food is on my mind. Not just in the "What's for dinner?" type of way. No, it's beyond that. This is more of a "What will I have to eat next?" type of thinking AS I'm eating! During this part of the chemo cycle I cannot seem to shake food from my mind.

It struck me as humorous today that I'm having this weirdly obsessive relationship with food. So I'm admitting it to you. And sharing some of my obsessions as of late:
  • hummus and pitas
  • green shakes
  • Mediterranean, Indian, and Greek foods
  • apples, people, APPLES!
  • mac & cheese (my dirty little secret)

Do other people have foodgasms? I'm curious to read your comments.

4 comments:

Chana said...

I'm curious to learn why you include people in this list? That would be a problem, which having foodgasms isn't. I do have those also, at night when I'm having my glass of wine I crave chocolate! And once I allow myself to endulge I feel a sense of true pleasure! Sounds like the gasm thing to me!!
Endulge my dear friend, enjoy yourself.

Linda said...

Well, it is no secret that my food weakness is - always has been - ice cream! There isn't a flavor I don't love and the texture - well - simply divine (i.e., foodgasm)! (that's why I have to stay away from it - except "special" occasions)

Alexis said...

Well at least your food obsessions are healthy (hummus, green shakes, apples)! I lost control during & after chemo & just ate whatever I could taste - unfortunately that was mostly sweets (hello cupcakes w/extra frosting!). I hope you continue to enjoy your indulgences!

Laura said...

Chana: you're too literal. I don't eat people, silly.

Mom: kudos for being honest!

Alexis: I do enjoy indulging - just am going to not make it an everyday occurrence. I figure if you put good things in, you feel better. I do!