April 18, 2012

Milestone: Final Cisplatin Treatment!

Today is the day I thought wouldn't get here fast enough. It's the last cisplatin treatment I'll receive for the clinical trial. I still have a rough patch ahead of me, but I know it's the last one.

We had a rocky start to the day: my bloodwork results showed that my neutrophils were low...too low for treatment. Mine were at 1.2; 1.5 is the minimum. What to do? Run stairs. I jogged (as best I could) up and down 3 flights of stairs three times. Then straight back to get more blood drawn then wait. Aaah, the waiting. It was a long 1/2 hour before we found out that my little stair episode helped enough - my neutrophils came back at 1.5! Just enough to get my last chemo on time. Hip-hip-hooray!

FYI: low neutrophils = neutropenia esp during nadir = high risk of infection = I won't be going out and about for a while. Much to my chagrin. :( Boo.

But back to the good part of this news: my final treatment IS today. I AM finishing the trial with hair-a-flying. Joshua came during his lunch hour to spend time with us and brought sandwiches to eat. And we DID get to go outside this time! Pictures to come of today's happenings.

This treatment is 4 of 4 with cisplatin. I've also had (last summer) 4 treatments of adriamycin/cytoxan, 1 of taxol, and 3 of abraxane. Cumulative time "on" chemo is 6 months. Wow. I'm lifting a bottle (of water) to the last 10 months...what a journey it's been so far, and I'm happy to say bye-bye to chemo.

3 comments:

mandi said...

Woohoo Laura!!!!!!! That rocks!! What a year you've had. And always in good spirits! What a beautiful lady you are.

Chana said...

I shall lift a bottle too
A bottle lift shall I
I will lift a bottle for you
For you a bottle will lift
By I.

~ AKJ ~ said...

WAHOOOOO!!!!!