September 22, 2012

Guest Blogger: Aunt Sandy and the Alkaline Diet

Aunt Sandy has visited us throughout the entire BC journey. She's seen the effects of chemo/surgeries/radiation on me and the mental struggles we've gone through. She is also a witness to how our eating habits have shifted and has become quite a knowledgeable balanced pH lifestyle supporter! I asked Sandy to guest blog about her own nutritional experience this past year.

Take it away, Sandy!

~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ -- ~ 

Eating better…and feeling better thanks to Joshua and Laura! During my trips to Colorado these past several months, I have been exposed to food choices I had never tried and ingredients I couldn’t even pronounce! While visiting, I wanted to honor the diet that Laura and Joshua had adopted to help Laura put her body in the best cancer-fighting position possible!

One of Sandy's omelettes...
with home grown sprouts!
What I have learned is a great, healthy way to eat and live! Even though I have valued healthy eating and exercising most of my life, I realized I had more to learn. I purchased the book, The pH Balance Diet, by Bharti Vyas & Suzann Le Quesne, after coming back to Oklahoma to learn more about the “hows and whys” of the alkaline balanced way of eating. The word “diet” in the book’s title sounds very restrictive, but really…it is not! I am eating my fill and feeling better; I also have more energy and have lost weight by adjusting what I eat!

It would be impossible to explain all I have learned in this single blog post, but here is a summary:

Eliminate Toxins, Lose Weight, and Increase Energy
When naturally balanced, your body is alkaline. A diet high in meat, dairy, and sugar overwhelms your body with acidic waste, resulting in weight gain, low energy, poor skin, and brittle bones. An alkaline diet also helps with fibromyalgia pain and chronic fatigue.

The pH Balance Diet explains how to correct imbalances, eliminate toxic overload and reverse acid buildup. It offers a gradual, healthy approach to restoring your body's natural acid-alkaline balance, including:
  • Easy-to-follow, three-phase program
  • Tips on how to eat fewer acid-forming foods
  • A handy list of the top 80 alkaline-forming foods
  • Information on free radicals and antioxidants

In a Nutshell…
I have tried to avoid (or severely limit!): sugar, simple carbohydrates, refined and processed foods, dairy food products, processed salt, saturated and other unhealthy fats, alcohol, caffeine, artificial sweeteners.

Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry
I have eaten (in generous amounts): dark green & yellow vegetables and fruit. I don’t think I have ever eaten so many veggies! I have enjoyed trying new recipes and exchanging ideas with Linda, Laura, and Joshua.

The book includes over 40 quick and delicious recipes featuring alkaline-forming ingredients such as avocados, cantaloupe, eggplant, kiwis, lentils, mushrooms, peppers, rye bread, salmon, soymilk, turkey, and wild rice.

I would also recommend reading Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (really good!) and The pH Miracle, by Robert Young & Shelley Redford Young.

I am so thankful for all this new information and am excited about the good results. I am convinced it is very worthwhile to give this book … The pH Balance Diet … a look!


1 comment:

Linda said...

Way to go Sandy! During Sandy's visit to Denver in July-August and again in September, we all benefited from some new alkaline and vegetable-based recipes that Sandy made. They were delicious! Now that I am beginning to hobble around the kitchen on my own, I hope to follow her significant footsteps. Thanks Sis!