September 6, 2012

Breast Reconstruction with Implants 101

For those wondering, curious, or underinformed: here's some information about the process of breast reconstruction with implants.

My plastic surgeon used AlloDerm to help support my future breasts. The AlloDerm was placed during my first (double mastectomy) surgery and some additional AlloDerm was used during my 2nd stage reconstruction surgery. What's AlloDerm? Watch the YouTube video below to find out what it is, why it's used, and how it works:
from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcXt3dJI_w


I'd like to call your attention to the placement of AlloDerm and also the placement of the implant - it's nestled between pectoralis muscles. Sounds nice and cozy...and it is...for the implant! Not as comfy for the muscle that's stretched OVER the implant. Those expander fillings I experienced late last year and this year were sometimes difficult to take (muscle relaxers helped on a few occasions). From time to time, I still feel twinges of pain from the muscles - especially on my right (radiated) side. The right side has a different battle because of the radiation. The daily morning massages and mashing is an effort to counteract radiation's lasting effects.

New to the mix as of last week: introducing arm stretches that work on increasing my range of motion and help loosen the pecs. They are painful to do right now and I can't stretch nearly as far as I was able to before my 2nd stage reconstruction. But I've been in a similar position before - after my 1st stage reconstruction last October - so I know it'll take time...months...to work on getting the pecs, shoulders, arms, and everything related in better shape.

If you've been reading this blog a while, you've probably noticed that I give proper credit to other sources of information, videos, and images. So I'll be upfront right now and say I honestly have no idea when I acquired these images - nor which blog they came from. I do remember finding a blog with these images and thought they accurately portrayed what reconstruction with implants (after a mastectomy) is like. They're so informative that I'm going to use them anyway, and if I ever find the originator of these illustrations, I'll give proper credit!

A great transparent view.


See all the muscle attachment in the armpit area?
That's where I really feel the tightness from lymph nodes taken, radiation,
and my pecs stretched over the implants.


A graphic illustraction if 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stage reconstruction.
Nipple tattooing is the  4th stage. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow.. you really have the good post.. thanks
Diep flap