November 11, 2011

Globbies!

Some drainage and the globs.
There's a thing that happens while caring for drains: they need to be stripped regularly. (FYI: drain stripping = holding the tube with one hand and sliding your other hand down the tube to clear it out.) Even so, things can build up inside the tubes. And when that buildup gets stripped down to the grenades, it just kind of hangs around. I called them globs or globbies.

Weird little clumps, aren't they? These were stuck in my grenades for days...maybe even a week. Then one night, when Joshua was emptying the drains, one of the glob ends came out a bit. So Joshua pulled and pulled and pulled - and the whole thing came out! Same with the other side's grenade that same evening.
It ALL came out that night.

Not appetizing, but fascinating stuff to look at and wonder about. I was so happy to have those out of the grenades - now my grenades were globbie-free!
Looks tempting, doesn't it?
No, not really. It's just for the toilet.

2 comments:

Erin said...

yay for drain fun! I became rather obsessive with stripping mine - the stuff you get out of there! Glad one is out, and the weird pain ball thing is out, keeping my fingers crossed the last two come out soon!

Laura said...

Erin: I can just see you scientifically analyzing all your fluid bits and pieces. I only learned about the stripping part at my first post-op appt - CRAZY to feel the suction!