November 27, 2011

The Naked Eye

Turns out, I did lose ALL of my hair. What makes chemo folks look different, I've determined, is our lack of facial hair - especially the eyebrows! When those vacate, one begins looking a bit like a visitor from a parallel universe, if you know what I mean. Case and point: see the close-ups.
These pictures were taken ~2 weeks post-surgery.
Hardly a hint of hair.
No time for eyebrows this day.
But you get the idea.
I look normal to myself without any makeup, but when the total hair loss thing caught up with me (~2 weeks after surgery/6 weeks after my last chemo), I looked weird even to myself. Enter my makeup lesson from the Look Good Feel Better seminar I attended months ago. Time to turn those notes into practical application!



Luckily for us post-chemo folk, the total hair loss days are not long. Just last week, I noticed tiny, mini eyelashes. Not long enough to pull at - not even long enough to apply mascara onto - but they exist! Also, a "shadow" of eyebrows...like I had shaved them off. The hair growing back was just under the skin - and even THAT made me look more human-like than before. Then the stubbles started coming out. It's a slow process, and there's a good portion of me that's reluctant to fully celebrate each hair's arrival. After all, I may lose it all again. Bummer.
Front stubble.
Back [of head] fuzz.
My frizzy, teddy bear-like hair is soft and I'm using an equine shampoo to see if it helps. Yes, this means I'm using horse shampoo. See picture to the right: Mega-Tek is supposed to help revitalize the growth and strength of the hairs. I am glad to see it coming back.

Not only do I feel like I'm gaining strength post-surgery, but I also feel like all of my rapidly growing cells (hair, nails, skin, etc.) are making a comeback of their own. My nails are still frail and were really thin from the chemo, so I'm using a nail hardener to help them along.

My skin is already back to normal everywhere that it wasn't. It's good to FEEL like a human to the touch again.

2 comments:

Amber said...

You look great Laura! FYI, I now have the urge to run my hand along your head-it looks so soft!!! So glad you are feeling so well. Am

Laura said...

Thanks, Amber. I'd love for you to rub my magic genie head. It's fuzzy and long enough now to feel a bit like a stuffed animal's fur.

Others: seriously? No snarky comments about the horse shampoo? Ha!