November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. This year it was a small celebration here: me, Joshua, and my mom. We each brought something to the table, which was nice. Technically, I didn't bring food to the table...but I was helpful in setting places, getting drinks, and most of the cleaning afterwards. It is a powerful and positive experience to help as I'm able right now.

I've been reflecting on the past year - in particular the past 6 months. Although there are reasons to feel other ways (which I do on occasion), today I am thankful and would like to share some of these blessings with you readers:
  • being married to a wonderful spouse who loves me right back - under construction and all
  • my parents working together to help me through this challenge in my life 
  • having my mother's steadfast support through thick and thin
  • my dad and stepmom who have helped me with occasional "sanity check" phone calls and who have also helped us with cooking meals
  • Joshua's parents, who have listened to Joshua's needs and support us from afar
  • my medical team doing the best they can to help me fight and win this battle
  • kind neighbors that help us in so many ways
  • friends that are new in my life and those that have known me for a long time doing what they can to help and show their interest and support
  • strangers surprising me with uncanny connections and tales of triumph
  • having time to make "the" decision about the clinical trial and whether I'll take part in it or not
  • this blog providing a way to communicate directly with family, friends, and acquaintances; serving as a time capsule of sorts about this journey I'm on and some of the particulars involved; and (I hope) aiding someone unbeknownst to me that's also been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer that wants to know more about the possible journey ahead
  • good food - and my voracious appetite!
  • my expanding lady lumps
Thanks to all who read this blog. Whether you comment or not, I am amazed at the viewership of these posts, and will continue updating with news when I'm able. If not for cancer, I would not have a blog. So thank you, cancer, for giving me an outlet for writing!

I hope to provide more updates in the coming days/week. There's been a lot of change going on around here...especially in the hair department. More soon!

4 comments:

mandi said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Thank you for sharing your blessings. Thanksgiving if one of my favorite holidays! (no gift giving just being with family and eating good food!) :)

Hugs to you.

Melanie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Laura and Joshua -- I am grateful for this blog and for knowing such kind, open and loving souls!

Amber said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you both! I sure am thankful for your friendship Laura (dating back, what 20 years now!). Thanks for sharing your list with us. Hugs, Amber

Laura said...

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday. What more could one want than fellowship with others and some good food, too?

Mel: aww...the feeling is mutual. Hope you get to snowshoe in Colorado in 2012!

Am: you're making us sound old! :)