December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

It's been a while since a blog post. What can I say? I've been busy like the rest of humanity with holidays preparations in addition to cancer-fighting appointments. Next week, I hope to add a couple of posts about radiation and PT.

The most popular questions, by far, the past couple of weeks are:
  1. How are you doing? - I am doing well and feeling even better. Over the past few weeks, I've marveled about how I feel better than I did prior to surgery. Guess the chemo is still getting out of me and I feel stronger physically each week than the week prior. Two days ago, I jogged for the first time since mid-chemo. It was a slow, mild jog, but baby steps are necessary so I don't push my body too far and suffer as a result. The jogging was in 1 minute increments between quick-paced walking. It felt great to reach jogging status again and I hope to be able to jog at least a straight mile by the end of January. It would mean a lot to me to get to that point. So cheers to my last chemo being 3 months ago and surgery being 2 months ago (to the day). It feels great to be on the other side of those mileposts.
  2. Do you have a sunburn yet from radiation?/How's radiation going? - Radiation is going well. So far, it's mostly just an annoying appointment in the middle of each day. Friday's treatment was the first time I noticed some pink coloring on the quadrant they're treating. And it's a bit itchy. So...I suspect more signs similar to sunburning will begin to occur. I'm able to get my arms into positition above my head more easily now, thanks to physical therapy and stretches designed to increase my range of motion.
Now for the holiday part of this post:

Hopefully most of you are with your loved ones, family, and/or friends today. Take a load off, kick back, and observe the good things around you. I've encouraged myself to release expectations of what Christmas should be...and to revel in what Christmas this year is. It's a paradigm shift that has made it easier for me to enjoy and be present at this holiday time of year.

I sincerely wish the best for us all in the coming year. May 2012 bring about positives for us all - including good health.
Merry Christmas from our hearts to yours.
~Laura and Joshua

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you two! May 2012 be a year of recovery and wild abandon.

Jeff

Vickie Aversman said...

Merry Christmas to you and may the coming year be full of only good things. Happy Birthday to you too, Laura!

Alli said...

Laura this is Allison and Seth next door we had no idea you were sick. Dotty and Tom just told us and she shared this blog with me. It sounds like you have had one rough road but improvements are near! Please let us know if you need anything. I wish we would have known earlier!! Do you guys need meals or anything at all?
Allison Jones
allijones9@gmail.com

Jo Myers said...

You two are so cute, I can barely stand it!
Happy New Year (it better be).
Love,
Jo

Chana said...

Love the pictures, you look so happy and full of life!!! Merry Birthday.

Alexis said...

Its so great to truly be able to appreciate what our bodies are capable of, so yeah to jogging! When I went through radiation, I had minor discomfort walking/running because my arm swings would irritate the spot - I found that lubing up with vaseline helped.

Merry (belated) Christmas! Let's hope for a happy & healthy 2012 for you and every other BC survivor out there!

Laura said...

Jo: thanks! Need anti-nausea meds? (kidding!)

Chana: gracias; my sparkle is back.

Alexis: so true about a newly-found appreciation for our bodies and the true miracle they ARE. Appreciate your lube tip - thanks! It may come in handy...soon.

Amber said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Laura! Sorry I missed you in our travels but I know we will meet up in 2012! I wish you the best in 2012. I think it will be a year of many positives for both of us. :) XOXO, Am

Laura said...

Thanks, Amber. We WILL meet up with 2012. I do think it holds promise for us. March will be here soon-!