December 2, 2011

My OG

Me and G
A long time ago, in a land far, far, away...

...I went to high school with OG (who shall heretofore be named G in this post). G and I were fortunate to get back in touch earlier this year - before all the c-word stuff happened. She's been like an angel to me...filling my inbox with emails that cover subjects far and wide. It's like stepping into a magical land reading tales of everyday life, stories of times past, memories we both share, and current goings on. Her long-distance support is something so strong and palpable that I sometimes forget we're "long distance" friends.

Being a thoughtful person, G asked early on about coming to visit, and when a good time might be for that visit to occur. I wasn't quite sure why, exactly, but my brain kept thinking "after surgery." And so it was. And so she did. Perfect timing. I'd hit a slump a couple of weeks beforehand where I'd do a downward spiral/snowballing thing mid-afternoon and into the evening. Post-op depression? Maybe. General funk about this seemingly never-ending process of which I've been a part for 6+months? Yep.

Waiting room entertainment =
filling out forms and cell phones!
We fit a lot [of talking] into her quick visit. Since I still wasn't driving at the time, mom drove to pick up G from the airport. As soon as we picked her up and we had a bite to eat, it was time for a BC appointment! G was a trooper and came along to my first physical therapy appointment.






The four of us enjoyed dinner at mom's place the first night. Mmm...tacos!
Taco night!

The next day, we decided to cook some chia-pumpkin muffins. A double batch, even. Woo-hoo! Gettin' crazy in the kitchen. We had a lot of laughs and great conversation during this muffin process. And we also managed to finish nearly all the muffins by the time she left Colorado. Man, those are great muffins! (Recipe to come once we've tweaked it some more.)
G with Bake Fresh muffin papers a la 1971, we think.
We're helping mom get rid of relics...

G in her "What would Julia do?" pose.

That night, we watched a doozy of a film: Premonition (no, not the Sandra Bullock one). Ugh! How that movie received a 6.2 IMDB rating is a mystery to both of us. And what is it with watching bad movies when friends visit? Sorry! Makes for funny inside jokes and stuff, at least. To rebound from a slacker of a movie, we went out for a sushi dinner. Long time, no sushi. I ate mostly sashimi (raw seafood without rice), but did indulge in some rolls, too. Mmmm...I felt a special sense of freedom from eating sushi again. Sushi wasn't allowed during chemo.
I'm too sexy for this roll.
Yes, "sexy roll" is the actual name.
Looked like boobies to us!

I so enjoyed getting to know more about thirtysomething G. We even got the yearbook out for a while and did random updates or reminiscing about people we knew/know. We even had time that last morning to watch some old videos of high school days...belly laughs ensued. Then it was time to say goodbye. That's usually the hardest part; this time was no different.
Me and OG. We're tough. We don't take crap; we take names.
So what if it took 6 shots pictures to get us both looking bada$$. :)

7 comments:

joshua@milehighcode.com said...

So good to have finally met you in person G! Thanks for having me as a scrabble partner too. Looking forward to meeting Chris and your aminals on our next trip out to the wild west.

Laura Bee said...

Sounds like you had a blast. I ready the '6 shots' comment wrong! I read it as though you had to drink 6 shots to get that pick. Oopsie, I think you meant 6 pictures.

Love the stylin' headgear. Would love to know what types of hats work well, how you choose what to wear, etc.

Vickie Aversman said...

Don't you love long time friends (and at your age I use that term loosely--wait till you get to be my age!) It's as though no time passes between visits, no matter how long the gap. Treasure these people. Glad you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

How fun to catch up! I bet our yearbook provided many laughs :-) Loving keeping up with you and your mom (miss her a bunch but so glad she is able to be there to support you). Thanks for writing, you are so encouraging and I can only imagine what a blessing you are to others on the journey of battling cancer.
Continued prayers for healing and strength- JJ

Amber said...

So glad you girls had a fun weekend! Wish I could have been there (but I was definitely there in spirit). Miss you guys! See you both soon!!! Am

Anonymous said...

Such fun. The good ole days are fun to remember!!!

Xoxo Harp

Laura said...

Laura B: good point re: my word choice. Indeed, I was referring to the pictures it took for us to look tough. Will work on a post about headgear choices.

Vickie: yes! Thank goodness for long time friends. And for picking up right where you left off.

JJ, Amber, Harp: yes, many belly laughs! :) Good times.