August 13, 2012

Doctor Downloads

Last week, I had two important appointments: a follow-up with my plastic surgeon and one with my oncologist. What follows is some of what I learned at these appointments.

Dr. K (oncologist):
  • Triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) doesn't show itself well in bloodwork, unlike other types of breast cancer. Therefore, blood tests/tumor markers aren't good indicators of what's going on. FYI: my bloodwork when I was diagnosed was completely normal and gave no indication of any cancer in my body.
  • Via bloodwork tests, we learned that my kidneys are functioning real well. Yay, kidneys! They're efficient, doing what they're supposed to, and bet a "better than normal" rating.
  • My WBC count is within normal range. :)
  • I'm back in middle school - in a way. I should "be prepared" at pretty much any time in the future to get my period. Oh, joy. The mystery, the intrigue!! <<eyeroll>>
  • Dr. K pushed for getting a PET scan (now scheduled for tomorrow morning!) so we can all breathe easy at my body image not "lighting up" anymore.
  • Dr. K took blood and compared that day's tumor markers with last summer's numbers. My tumor markers are down. Like I mentioned above, my tumor markers were never anything out of the ordinary, but it does feel good to know that my number now is lower than it was before.

Dr. B (plastic surgeon):
  • Surgery went really well - even on the radiated side. I cannot even describe the ENORMOUS smile Dr. B had when saying this. My heart melted immediately and I was twitterpated at getting to see most of my "new" boobies. (Tape over the incisions/scars prevented me from seeing the full monty.) 
  • Silicone implant sizes they put in: 700cc in the right (radiated) side and 650cc in the left. 
  • Jill showed me how to massage (more like mash) my boobs to move the implants within their respective pockets. This is to be done every day multiple times for my lifetime.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg mashing-wise. Ouch.
    Massaging/mashing will help keep my scar capsule and space around the implants larger than the implants themselves for a softer/more natural result. It helps ward off capsular contracture, which can end up making the breasts as hard as they were with expanders. If that isn't enough to scare someone into doing their daily boob-mashing work, I don't know what is!
  • I've still got tape over my incisions and look a bit like a craft project. 
  • I will begin PT on August 17.

Things I'm doing/not doing now:
  • No lifting my arms above my shoulders.
  • No lifting items heavier than 10lbs.
  • No airplane rides.
  • No activities that make my face turn red or make me sweat for 2-4 more weeks.
  • I "get" to wear a sturdy bra at 24/7 for at least 2-3 more weeks. Exceptions are when bathing (yes, I can shower!) and when boob mashing (see above).
  • Just got approved to drive today; doc said to take short trips first, then build up to more as I'm/my body is comfortable doing so.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Laura, You are amazing! When I grow up (if that ever happends) I can only hope that I have as much stamina, endurance, determination, courage and peacefulness as you do now!!!!!!!! Thank you for all your thought provoking posts and sharing your life with us. Now if I can only move myself to the all veggie/plant diet. That's one of my secret goals.......still trying to get there mentally! You go girl!

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing Laura. I'm so glad your recovery is going well and you can drive! Yay for that freedom! Keep up the healing sista. XOXO

Laura said...

@ Monica: you ARE grown up! Girl...you have TWINS for kids. My goodness. Thank you for your pats on the back - you are equally deserving. I'm not 100% veggie, but largely so. Finding protein from other sources gets easier and easier.

@ Amber: I'm healing away. Day by day...