August 17, 2012

Take a Hike!

To me, "take a hike" usually means something akin to "get lost" or "go pound sand." However, this time it's different! I encourage you all to get up, go out, and hike (or just move) as you're able. 

Enjoy this weekend!
---------------
Take up hiking.
Scientists in Japan have started prescribing "forest therapy" as a way for people to relax and boost their immune health, after a study found that men who'd spent six hours hiking in a forest over the course of two days had higher levels of "natural killer cells," which strengthen immunity and help fight cancer. The healthy effects of those two hikes lasted for 30 days. If a few days of arboreal wandering don't fit your schedule, seek out whatever nature you can find, such as a park—or even your own backyard. Being in nature is a natural stress reliever, and relaxation is great for your immune system.

-from the Rodale online article: 9 Weird Health Habits You Need to Adopt

3 comments:

Vickie Aversman said...

Laura: Your article really hit home with me. Jim and I have spent the last month hiking every other day or so in Glacier National Park or the surrounding areas. It feels so good to breathe in that wonderful, fresh mountain air and look at God's wonderful creation. I recommend " taking a hike" whenever you can!

Gerda said...

This has been on my "to-do" list for SO long - more time in nature. So yesterday, I put on my walking shoes and took my camera to Spring Lake in Santa Rosa. I walked 3.7 miles and came back with a new attitude.

Today, powerwalk in my neighborhood - tomorrow, hike a trail near the ocean. I am trying to make this a regular habit, but especially on weekends when I really have NO excuse not to "take a hike."

Laura said...

Like they need a study to prove this. But whatever - the point is to get up and get out! Good for you, Vickie and Gerda, for doing just that. Doesn't it feel great?!