August 19, 2012

How are you today, ma'am?

Very well; I thank you.


Did you think that was it for this post? Not so! Here--I'll expand a little with my own little Q&A session typed out for your collective pleasure:

Q: How is your energy level?
A: At 3 weeks out from switch-out surgery, I'm feeling "well," all things considered. My energy level grows nearly each day! I have the want to get out and go, but am usually surprised at how I tire. Still, I am getting better over time and know it takes time and PATIENCE to heal. I must bend like a reed in water to go with the flow. Sharpen my mental focus and tools so when the physical challenges of rehabilitation come up, I'll be ready. Just went on my first real walk after surgery this week, too!

Q: How are you staying strong even though you're physically limited?
A: I work each day on this. There are roller coaster feelings that come along with healing. What have I chosen to do to myself? Yay, I have soft boobies! Will something not heal right? This long year+ of medical poking and prodding is over! Will I ever get a lot of my physical stamina back? ...when I realize I'm thinking like this, I BREATHE. Take a few deep, purposeful breaths, and "be."  ...  It's a purposeful pause that gets me back to the now. I don't know what will be - nobody does.

I'm also going through a bit of mental fortification for the physical conditioning that lies ahead. This I believe: I've done it before and can do it again. However, people: it's a lot of freakin' work and frustration that goes into just basic body conditioning after surgery and consecutive knock-down-get-up-agains. Grrrrr...

Q: How do your scars look?
A: They look like pursed lips! Seriously. Only not as uptight looking as the expander version. :) Kinda still a bit foldy in spots, but the scar has formed and is strong (although it won't reach its full strength until about 6 weeks post-surgery). My skin around all 3 scars (2 boobs + 1 port) is peely and itches sometimes. I'm keeping an eye out for redness or anything weird.

I put strips of Epi-Derm across my scars. It's like gooey, thick tape. It's got healing "stuff" in it. Easier to use than creams - yay!



Q: What are your melon "massages" like?
A: So yeah. The massaging...in addition to the lymphatic massages I do every morning...they're not fun right now. There's a lot of healing going on inside of my chest and squishing the implants to and fro isn't so great. Dr. B did say that, over time, they would decrease in pain. Massaging/mashing will help keep my scar capsule and space around the implants larger than the implants themselves for a softer/more natural result. It helps ward off capsular contracture, which can end up making the breasts as hard as they were with expanders.

Q: How did the first PT session go? What's your range of motion?
A: The first PT session felt GREAT and came just in time. She noticed ~2cm difference between the left and right sides of my trunk. The right side has more fluid retention than the left. Isn't that just the case...the radiated side not getting a fair shake. My left arm is way more comfortable being used and moved than my right arm. Still on Dr. orders to not lift my arms above 90 degrees, which is fine because my right arm doesn't want to go up that far - it starts pulling my pec/shoulder/armpit stuff all tight and wonky. We'll be working on this over the next few...months?

Q: Do you hurt?
A: Right now, my shoulder bones and muscles and everything is coming alive again and with a different "configuration" underneath my chest than before. I'm starting to feel a lot of tightness in my shoulder and up by my neck; also starting to "pop" more in my shoulder and right elbow - these things happened after my last surgery, too.  My right trunk area (see pic) feels bloated / fat / achy / ??? / uncomfortable at times, usually multiple times a day.

My right side seems to be the "red headed stepchild" as my friend Jo calls her radiated side. It's poofy, it's less pilable,

Q: Can you lay down flat now?
A: Although I tried laying down with just one pillow to see, it's just not comfortable at all. It's stressful feeling on my chest AND it's much harder to sit up - you USE your pec muscles and mine have been worked over and have new implants between them! Being propped up helps everything stay comfortable - except me. :)  I look forward to being able to lay straight down...and then back on my side sometime, hopefully!

Q: Where are you mentally now that your treatment and surgeries are over?
A: I am in a mentally confusing place: yay for making it through treatment well and surgeries being over! mixed with what all just happened?, what's my next step in life?, and life is on a different trajectory now! I'm excited for the possibilities that lie ahead. I want to live each day like I mean it:

Q: What do you do for stress relief?
A: A variety: send a snail mail note, look for creative project ideas/inspiration, organize, massage, acupuncture, get crafty, watch a movie/show, get together with friends, sit & think.

Q: What things do you wish you did/could do more of?
A: Hard exercise. I miss it. I wish I took more time to make projects and crafts that all live up in my head and in various digital depots. They're so much fun when I'm immersed...it's just getting started that's my challenge. Wish I could have camped a few more times this summer with Joshua - that was a lot of fun. On the good days, I wish there were more time to get to spend doing the things that excite me!

Q: Do you have "don't worry, be happy" moments?
A: Yep. And those moments are wonderful and to be treasured. Those times sneak up on me just like the opposite ones do.

Q: "Who's your daddy?" - Joshua, when asked what sort of questions he'd think people would have at this point in my survivorship.

Ha, ha, ha! Ain't life grand?  :)  <BIG SMILE>

No comments: