August 2, 2011

Chemo Quattro

Today's was Laura's last treatment of Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Up next are four treatments of Taxol. Laura and her Mom went to the treatment appointment today's so I don't have many details about that.

After today's treatment Laura felt pretty tired and queasy. Hot flashes have been bothering her and shes felt moody and out of sorts. She is very grateful to have the easy chair her brother Adam left behind. It helps her relax, while not fully laying down, which can make her uneasy. Thank you Adam.
 
Laura ate soup this afternoon and cottage cheese with peaches in the evening. Her appetite is a lot lighter than usual. She told me that she thinks more about food, than actually wants to eat anything. Her water also tasted weird all day and I had to take a sip to ensure her it was really normal water.

Right now she is laying in bed listening to a guided meditation CD given to her by a good friend to relax and ease any pains she has. It sounds very peaceful and has me breathing easier too. When there are pauses in the meditation I can hear Laura's gentle breathing from the adjoining room and I think she is sleeping now. This must be a similar feeling a parent has, when they hear their baby sleeping nearby. I'm glad she is at rest right now, she is my little angel.

It has been raining off and on today and was a lot cooler than past days. The weather is indicative of both of our moods today. We've been overcast and a little drizzly.

3 comments:

Laura Bee said...

Another lovely post. I really feel for you, watching your wife go through these things must be so hard. Your post made me wonder if Laura has ever tried Qi Gong? (http://www.qigonghealing.com/qigong/whatis.html) I took a class and really enjoyed the gentle movements and meditative quality. It might even be a fun thing for you guys to do together. (Jeff and I both enjoyed it.) There are probably DVDs out there, I could research them if you like.

Unknown said...

Hi Laura Bee, thanks so much for your idea! I checked out the Qi Gong link you sent, and it has some great info. We are definitely interested in learning more and taking a class together. There is a lady who teaches Tai Chi and Qi Gong meditation just down the street from where we live. It's definitely on our list of things to do together! I can imagine you doing the gentle movements, gliding through your studio, with colorful fabrics draped all around :)

Erin said...

Joshua, thank you for your kind comment :). You're absolutely right that writing the blog has been cathartic- I think in a way that i didn't realize before. I like that you update often for laura - I'll have to suggest that for Sean - maybe then my blog wouldn't get behind so often (and he could have a chance to weigh-in)! Sorry to hear this last one was more rough, Laura, its so weird how completely unpredictable each round is. I can completely relate to the bad taste in your mouth/bizarre relationship with food - its been a really hard part for me and makes it difficult to maintain decent eating habits. Glad to hear you're wrapping up one part of chemo and moving on to the next, hope the next one goes smoothly and hope to see you guys sometime soon at another yes event!