August 22, 2011

So Much In Love


During our vows.
Last weekend marked a special day for our marriage: our 7 year anniversary. 

No great pomp and circumstance like our wedding day, but we both agreed that the weekend was a "good weekend." Which is a wonderfully positive thing for us! In these often unpredictable times as of late, it's hard to obtain a sense of true balance when the weekend comes. Joshua would like to spend it knocking off some to-dos, but mostly enjoying ourselves together doing the things that make us feel good. I, on the other hand, am usually Taskmaster General. It's hard to let go of the myriad of to-dos that exist and build in my mind while I'm experiencing the chemo roller coaster lows. This weekend, without really even trying, it seemed to be a perfect combination of both. 

We started the weekend by getting some to-dos done. That satiated me enough to move on to something more enjoyable. We talked together in the craft room - not a planned conversation, just one that happened (and sometimes that's the best kind). We also spent a few hours meeting with another BC survivor and her husband. They are where I'd like to click my heels and be right now - but can't. Spending some one-on-one time with them pumped us both up: we can do this! We gleaned so much from our time with them and feel as though a new relationship is budding. I'm so glad we reached out to another couple. 

On Sunday, while Joshua hooked up some speakers downstairs, I hopped on the treadmill and did hill intervals for an hour. It was low speed, but my heart was pumping and it felt great to not only be able to exercise, but to WORK my heart and lungs. It had been too long. We were both happy that my peripheral nerve symptoms had lessened significantly so I could exercise. Then we went to a Farmer's Market to meet up with a friend and her kiddos. How fun to get out, enjoy some sunshine (with SPF 70, of course), visit with a friend, and get local produce for the week. The remainder of the weekend included computer time for Joshua and an extended napping period for me. It was a good weekend.

This coming weekend, we'll head into the mountains for a couple of nights to have a delayed celebration of our anniversary. I'll be physically capable of more then and know we'll both really enjoy the time away together. It feels so good to still have those same feelings I did 7 years ago when I look into Joshua's eyes...and it feels even better to know our relationship has grown stronger with each passing year. 

I'm still so much in love with you.

"As we stroll along together
holding hands, walking all alone.
So in love are we two
that we don't know what to do
so in love (doo, so in love)
in a world of our own (doo, so in love)."

-from the 1963 hit So Much In Love by The Tymes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Happy Anniversary. May you have many more years to celebrate together.

Amber said...

Congratulations you two! It sounds like the weekend was just what you needed it to be. So glad you have more fun to look forward to as well. :) Amber

Laura Bee said...

Love the wedding photos! Congratulations on your anniversary. You are an inspiring couple.

Unknown said...

You are so wonderful schatzi and make me smile so much. Get ready, here we come mountains. Yay!!! xoxoxoxo