October 18, 2011

Acupuncture

The center's entryway floor.
Acupuncture is interesting to me. And I believe it's been beneficial to me as a complement to my Western medicine treatments. It hasn't hurt me in any way, that's for sure. Paul is my acupuncturist and I hope to remember to get a picture of him sometime in the future. Chemo brain has made getting a picture of him all the more elusive. For now, here are a few pictures I took during a visit in August to show folks what I've experienced.

My appointments begin with a check-in of sorts. I talk to Paul about troublesome symptoms I'm experiencing and he checks my pulse and my tongue. (The main symptoms I found troublesome during chemotherapy were nausea, tinnitus (ears ringing), headache, bone paint, joint pain, and fatigue.) Then I hopped up on the table and got stuck! Once all the needles/pins/clips are in, Paul dims the lights and leaves the room. My job was to breathe in and out, relax, and try not to let too many stray thoughts come charging into my brain for the next 45 minutes. Easier said than done!


A needle in my forehead.
I *think* this is the brain on/off switch location.
It's nice when it's off!



Contrary to most of the needles folks are familiar with, acupuncture needles are not hollow. I played with one before I got stuck for the first time, just to see what I was getting into. They are so thin that they are flexible.  Having acupuncture needles inserted does not hurt; I've only had two needles placements that made me feel a twinge as they went in. A few minutes later, everything feels normal or better than normal.


Two needles in my foot.




I'm comfortable while on the table. A bolster is placed under my knees, rolled-up towels are placed under my wrists (which usually have needles in them, too), and a heat lamp can be used, too.

An infrared heat lamp.
Usually aimed at my cold feet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered what happens in acupuncture. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into it. -JGA

Amber said...

So glad you are enjoying acupuncture! This sounds a lot like my appointments. It's amazing how much it can help. :)

Laura said...

JGA (Jim?): You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed the description.

Amber: Most definitely. I'm glad we'be both sought some alternatives to conventional medicine.