October 25, 2011

Letting Go

The magical time has arrived. We're soon heading to the hospital. Joshua and/or my parents will be posting blog updates on how I'm doing post-surgery. Any comments you leave will get to me. I'll hop back online when I feel up to it.

Much like the sparklers in this picture,
my breasts will soon be things of the past.
Next time you see me, it'll be version 1.2 of Laura; one step on the way of becoming v2.0. Also, Phase 2 of Operation Kick the Crap out of Cancer will be over! (At least that's how I'm thinking of it.)

This transition is a tough one to wrap my head around; I imagine I'll be working through these feelings for some time to come. My breasts have mainly, until recently, been just another appendage on my body. Since June, I've had time to think about them, notice them, recognize changes in them, celebrate them, and say goodbye to them. I would love to keep them...if they weren't trying to kill me. Bad boobies! <sigh> It's come down to having to let them go.

I am ready for today. I am confident in my general surgeon's abilities. I am confident in my plastic surgeon's abilities. I know the anesthesiologist is well-versed in administering drugs to patients like me. I know there are many prayers being said for this surgery. I have the strength. Everything will work out as it should.

2 comments:

~ AKJ ~ said...

My every good thought and prayer are with you today - May you feel an incredible peace. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thoughts are flying across the Atlantic to you Laura. You are one wonderful and amazing woman. I applaud you and your strength in the face of adversity. Wish that we could all be so brave. Thoughts to Josh as well who will be your rock in the days ahead. You are not alone. Best wishes from the mother of 2 daughters who have been through what you are experiencing. They are both now happy and healthy and so will you be.