February 22, 2012

The Neighborly Thing To Do

image of Fred Rogers, the consummate neighbor,
from Snappy New Day blog
We are fortunate to live where we do. After carefully seeking out the state we wanted to call home and figuring out a list of non-negotiables for our house, we zeroed in on Centennial, Colorado. Once we stumbled on our current neighborhood, we didn't want to let go. It is so reaffirming to live on a street of caring individuals. Our neighbors have helped with snow shoveling, preparing food, taking me to appointments, showing solidarity with buzz cuts, and other "neighborly" ways of showing care.

Only recently have we gotten a taste (literally!) of what the entire neighborhood can do:

A neighbor who recently found out about our "health adventure" (Allison) asked if we'd mind sharing our story and needs with the babysitting co-op. We wrote up a few short paragraphs describing what it's been like for us since my diagnosis, and Allison sent it to 40+ other homes in our neighborhood that are part of the co-op. I was aware of the co-op back during our home search and was intrigued at becoming part of it once we had a child. What I wasn't aware of was that this group of folks does much more than time-share responsibilities for childcare. They provide help to other families in the neighborhood that are in need. I guess we fit that bill - because soon after she sent the email out, the Helping Hands site Joshua set up began getting new sign-ups daily to help with meals!

All of this is overwhelming sometimes. Not just walking through this experience, but actually processing the little ripple effects that happen all around us because of breast cancer. I am so deeply moved by people, not having met either of us before, signing up to bring us home cooked meals. What a relief it is for Joshua to not have to come home after a day's work and cook for us. What a blessing it is for me to not have to focus on cooking (not that it is a strength of mine anyway).--Hey, I'm being honest. I am so grateful for Allison linking us up with this group of caring individuals and for their collective help.

In my healthy future, I hope to pay it back (or forward) to others. In times of need, getting help is indispensable. Learning to receive it can be a learning process. We are learning. We are accepting. And we are most gracious.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the best posts I've read yet. You guys are so fortunate to have good neighbors. If neighborhoods can live like this it gives me hope for the world. We should all take a page from this book. I like the paying it forward idea when you are well too. I try to do that all the time. Take care and enjoy being taken care of!

Alexis said...

I love stories like this. With all bad stuff plastered all over the news, it is great to hear about the people out there helping their neighbors and doing nice things for others. I was fortunate to have a similiar network of support and I'm always looking for ways to show people I care. Great post and it leaves me with something to think about today!!!