February 6, 2012

Next Steps

Thought I'd break it down for you all via headings. I like to be organized that way.

All filled up:
Immediately post-fill.
Happy camper!
As of January 30, my expanders are all filled up!
Right: 695cc, Left: 590cc
I may need a top off before surgery on the left side. If that's the case, it will wait until after the clinical trial is over. For now, I'm close to "even" and feeling groovy.

Lab rat:
Today I go in to sign consent forms, have bloodwork done, an ECG, and another heart test of my physician's choice. All day at the hospital - boo. After the tests are in and I get a "pass" to be part of the trial, I'll be randomized into Group A or Group B. I really hope to be part of Group B be in the group that is best for me long term. As long as my tests come back with good results, infusion #1 of cisplatin will be Feburary 13 at 8:30.

Post-radiation stuff:
The swelling, redness, and itching have let up considerably in the last week. Even the little gnat bite-like bumps on part of my chest and back are nearly all gone. Yay! Radiation (not only during, but also after treatment) can cause skin and muscle to become "stuck" and not pliable. So along with daily lymphatic massages, I'm also massaging the skin that was radiated each day (I'm supposed to do 100 circles around my breast each day). Once or twice a day I also give the radiation area (breast, underarm/side, and neck/back) extra lotion to soak up. This should help my skin become and stay "happy" post-radiation.

Lymphedema sleeve, glove,
and gauntlet packages.
Workouts:
It feels great to gradually increase the intensity of my workouts. Last week, after picking up my lymphedema sleeve/glove/gauntlet combo (more info on those to come), I committed to jogging a straight mile on the treadmill. Mission accomplished - plus some. I jogged 1 mile, then walked fast for a 1/2 mile, and then decided to bust out another 1/2 mile. Both jogging intervals were done between a 11-12 minutes per mile pace and the entire workout was just over 3 miles. My arm didn't have any reaction to the increased intensity, so next time I jog I'll just wear the sleeve and see what happens. It is so majorly exciting and thrilling to be able to jog again!

Go ahead, chuckle at the picture below. How could one resist? Not wanting to upset my skin, I decided to wear a jog bra on the outside of a cotton t-shirt.
Joshua snuck away and got the camera-!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing that smile! Nice job on the workout. And so stylish too. :)

Laura said...

Is the prior comment from the stylish woman that gave me that shirt? :) If so, thanks - am loving it!

Amber said...

Thanks for the update. Looking good Laura! You may be a trend setter! XOXO

Sarah said...

What a clever way to fit in a workout (and what a great workout--geez, you put me to shame)!

Alexis said...

I love the sports bra over t-shirt look. I bet it was comfy too. I'd love to rock that look, if I didn't work out in public :-) Glad you're feeling good enough to put in a few miles!

Laura said...

Sarah: I doubt it! Don't think I could hang with your sparring group for 3 minutes!

Alexis: Ha! I'm glad you appreciate "the look." But I do look forward to jogging outdoors again (bra UNDER shirt) after my skin is all healed from radiation. :)