June 7, 2011

More Specifics


Yesterday I had an MRI and ultrasound testing to establish a preliminary, precise visual, and measurable reference for treatment. Initial testing is indicating more areas of concern in addition to the larger, recently biopsied spot. Then I had an extended counseling session with my doctor.
In summary, here's what I learned:
  • confirmed: aggressive ductal breast cancer, more testing (MRI, ultrasound, genetic, PET scan, HER-2, Ki-67) remains for treatment (chemo is a given and so is surgery)
  • size: 3.2cm x 2cm x 2.5cm
  • other "suspicious" spots detected in right breast (and one in left) will be investigated further by ultrasound
  • did genetic testing for breast cancer gene (orally); results in 10 days
  • appointments later this week/early next week should include: ultrasound, MRI, possible PET scan, fertility expert, medical oncologist

Additional tests will be conducted to tailor a treatment plan.

According to my dad (thanks, dad), I am displaying a strong determination to meet the problem head-on. Joshua has been generating a tremendous amount of support for me, and my mom arrived in Centennial yesterday to help us navigate these choppy waters. It means so much in building an effective treatment to have the support and love of family and friends.

Mo' later.

No comments: