June 16, 2011

A Mother's Thoughts

Refocus. Renew. Reaffirm.
As I left Colorado and returned to Oklahoma to work for a short while, I pondered what has been happening over the past 10 days or so. As Laura wrote in an earlier post, there were many plans under way. Now, some of those plans will be pursued in modified form and some will be postponed a bit. Some may even fall by the wayside, as priorities change. Regardless, it is apparent that both Laura and Joshua already recognize that the real "stuff" of life is being "present" for each other and for their loved ones and "connecting" on a personal level. Maybe one of those "silver linings" Laura mentioned involves getting the most out of each day. Perhaps there will be a found or renewed passion to pursue. And surely this experience will reaffirm the gift of family and/or friendship for all of us.
As I sat last week quietly listening to test results and diagnosis/treatment plans, more than one doctor recognized and voiced my feelings: that as a mother I wish it were me instead of Laura, that I could take it from her and deal with it. But I can't. However, I can and will be available and present to Laura and Joshua through this journey to health. And I know that many of you will reach out and do the same. And that's how we stay connected......

No comments: