September 10, 2011

My Gramma was Here!

Gramma's famous roast beef dinner.
Notice the meat-to-veggie ratio - we did it right!
(All natural, grass-fed beef, too. )
Gee, I'm behind on some news tidbits--oops! I have had good intentions of doing a photojournalistic blog post of "this is the last two weeks post-chemo in pictures," but uploading the pictures, organizing them, naming them, cropping them, exporting to email, saving to blog...it's all too much the day before treatment. That's when I'm running around like crazy to appointments and also trying to get as much done at home as possible. :)

My Gramma Birch came to town for a couple of weeks in mid-August. She stayed at my mom's place but I saw her frequently. Sometimes for a meal and a visit, sometimes for 5-10 minutes between appointments, sometimes as I ran into mom's house to grab'n'go, and a few times she came over to our house and hung out with me. I enjoy her calm presence. I also appreciate her being at ease with going with the flow of whatever, whenever!

The time-share shower stool!
One thing I noticed while Gramma was still here: the peripheral neuropathy effects of Taxol. In combination with the ear ringing and joint pain, the neuropathy sensations leave me feeling weak and unsure about my body in the whole time/space sense. Gramma witnessed what my first Taxol treatment's effects were like...which led to a discussion between us about making showering easier - for both of us! We came up with the idea of shopping for a shower stool that we could "time share" between us here in Colorado. She could use it when visiting mom and I could use it on my tingly/weak days. Right after the meal, we hopped on Amazon.com and found one that we both thought would work. It's lightweight, has handles, has stable rubber feet, and can bet set at various heights. Voila! Problem solved. So far, I'm loving the shower stool. It's a big help. And it strikes me as funny (and cool) that Gramma and I have more in common now, too!

After a taco feast at our house in Gramma's honor.

2 comments:

Amber said...

So glad you had such a wonderful visit with your Gramma! I also love the feeling of finding a solution to make life easier! Way to go gals! Amber

Laura said...

Thanks for the kudos, Amber. :)