September 22, 2011

Q #3: Have you watched The Big C?

A:
Photo courtesy of:
http://www.sho.com/site/thebigc/home.sho
Yes I have! A friend in Oklahoma mentioned this show and we added it to the Netflix queue after I was diagnosed. Joshua and I began watching Season 1 about a month ago. My mom and aunt have also watched some episodes with us. I've enjoyed watching it - the irreverence, the humor, the candid way about it. It also touches on the serious ways in which cancer effects not only the one that's got it, but the support system that surrounds that person. Now it looks like we'll have to wait for Season 2 discs to get on Netflix...

Unlike the main character, I have not ignored my diagnosis, rescued any lobsters from restaurants, had a pool hole dug in my yard, or bought a shiny red sports car. Seems I'm much more practical than that. - Ha!

What do you (anyone that's seen it) think about the show?

6 comments:

Chana said...

I LOVE IT!!! I love the sense of humor, I love her outlook on LIFE. I don't like so much that it seems almost like this outlook is new, at time. I truly love the lesson it has given my heart.. which is to love life no matter what has been dealt to you. And you my dear friend Laura, have also taught me that.

Laura Bee said...

I need to check it out. I've heard good things. That new movie 50/50 looks interesting too.

Laura said...

Laura: We are going to see a premiere showing of 50/50 tonight. I hope it's as enjoyable as the trailer makes it seem!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to find out what you think of 50/50. Is there a movie review in this blog's future?

Laura said...

Anon: Yes, there will be a movie review a la Joshua! Soon.

Laura said...

Anon: I liked 50/50 better than Joshua, it appears. True, it didn't dive deep into all the emotions and "stuff" that's involved with a cancer diagnosis, but there were poignant moments in the film. Perhaps since I have cancer, I enjoyed the laughs even more - and there were a few. The only thing that got under my skin was all the swearing by Kyle in the movie - too much and not necessary.