September 1, 2011

Q #1: How did you originally get diagnosed?

Question continued: Did you find a lump, was it part of a routine exam, etc?

A: 
In late March, while recovering from a tonsillectomy, Joshua noticed a bump in my right breast. He brought it to my attention and I decided to keep an eye on it by checking it (visual + tactile) weekly. I had stopped taking birth control recently, I'm youngish, and I know my breasts go through cyclical changes. To me, I felt like alarm bells weren't necessary until I detected a change. I've also been told by every other doctor since that they would have said to "keep an eye on it for a month or two," given my scenario with stopping birth control and recent surgery.

There was no noticeable change until ~May 10. Between coming home from a trip to help my mom pack and driving back down to Oklahoma for my grandmother's funeral, I felt a significant change in size and hardness. I also began experiencing shooting pains in that area that were quite uncomfortable. On the road trip down, per Joshua's urging, I called and made an appointment for the morning after we returned.

The rest is now history.

2 comments:

Laura Bee said...

Thanks for answering my question. Your story is a good lesson for all of us to pay attention to our bodies! (Also to get felt up by our husbands regularly - you go Joshua!)

Congratulations on your recent shrinkage. It must give you a boost to get some GOOD news!

Laura said...

Yes, definitely. Feel up your ladies, men!! And get to know your boobies, ladies.

Indeed, it's nice to get a good dose of good news. :)