September 28, 2011

Last Chemo Treatment in 16 Pictures

Sixteen pictures; each to signify a week I will have spent going through chemotherapy. My last treatment was yesterday. I made it! Yay! I wish I could high five you all in person. 

We arrived at my final chemo infusion.
Yep, I wore an awesome head topper on my last day. 
Pretty rad t-shirt, too. Read it in another picture. :)
Why the funny face?
Because Michelle is mixing my meds back there.
Mixing the meds is hot, sweaty business.
I didn't know my face could look like this. 
And also: someone believed this was my real hair today! Pretty funny.
Pointing to Abraxane on my chemo cart. Thanks, Michelle! :)
The final chemo posse in full effect.
Ohmygosh. Is that cake? And icing?? We brought in a cake for all...we had some, too.
(Yes, this is called cheating on my alkaline diet.
But hey, it's life. I chose to enjoy a piece of cake.)
Mom and I flashing our chemo gang signs. Ha!
Dr. K wearing her newly-acquired gold chain with her initial on it (also in gold).
It's kinda a joke between us.
me: "I have breast cancer. Will you be my chemo homegirl?"
Dr. K: "What's that?"
I do believe I saw a full-on smile on Dr. K's face yesterday.
She is a good choice for me: answers my questions,
gives me abundant relevant information,
and doesn't want to mess around with cancer.
Tuesday's chemo nurses: Michelle on left, Linda on right.
They are fun, lively, and enjoy good conversations and laughs.
Ellen is another chemo nurse and wasn't there yesterday, but she was there today when I got my last Neulasta shot. She'll be in the next blog post.
After chemo, we went to WaterCourse Foods, a vegetarian restaurant in Downtown Denver.
The lights caught my attention for quite a while.

Check it out (courtesy of the WaterCourse Foods web site): WaterCourse Foods is proud to serve a 100% vegetarian menu. Our style of comfort food has won over the hearts and stomachs of people from all types of dietary backgrounds. The greatest compliment we hear (and we hear it often) is when a initially reluctant patron, who was dragged in by their spouse or kids, says they never thought they would eat vegetarian food and now WaterCourse is their favorite restaurant.

Joshua was happy to receive tasty vegetarian treats.
Here it is! I got a polenta-crusted portabello with avocado, brown rice, refried beans, chipotle aoli, carrots, lettuce, pico de gallo, and black beans.
Joshua got a meatless meatball sandwich, grilled sweet potato, and grilled seasonal veggies.
Mom got a wheat tortilla wrap with cilantro pistachio pesto, grilled sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and smoked mozzarella.

That's what the day was like. I drank a bit of sparkling cider and toasted to you all, to the medical team I've come to know and rely on, to what I believe is out there that's bigger than us, and to LIVING life!

Phase 1 of Operation Kick the Crap out of Cancer? 
(Thanks Grey/Amber - great name! :)   )

OVER!!!

12 comments:

Jenn Chesney said...

AWESOME!!!
Congratulations, we love you!!!

Chana said...

TRULY AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy to see you sport the hairy bandana, we all thought it was you, and we were right.. That food looks wonderful, I am definately going to put that restaurant on my list to try. Glad that part of this chapter is over for you, the excitement shows in the photos and speaks OUT LOUD in your words... CONGRATS MY FRIEND.

Anonymous said...

This is probably my favorite post yet. Love the pictures and all the smiles. Way to go out in style! CONGRATS!

~ AKJ ~ said...

SO EXCITING!!! Huge congrats (and that restaurant looks delicious!).

Erin said...

LOVE IT! Some personal bling for the oncologist - why didnt I think of that?! Bc I must say your chemo suite looks more than a touch swankier than mine was. Also, love the shirt and the bad-ass hair thing. You can bust those out at our next get-together ;) More than stoked for you right now. :)
Erin

Monica said...

You can cheat all you want (with cake and whatever else) because YOU TOTALLY DESERVE IT!!!!!!! WAY TO GO! Nice work Laura and Co.!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Way to go! Love this post and love the hair!:) love you guys! Kim

Amber said...

Great job Laura! You rock! I'm so happy this phase is over. :) Love the pics. Thanks so much for sharing and keeping us updated. Am

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love your spirit.

Jeff

Alexis said...

I found your blog through another blog (& I'm also a BC survivor)...congrats on finishing your last chemo treatment!!! And I love that you're trying to have fun with it all. Attitude is everything. Best of luck with the road ahead of you - I like what you have to say, so I'll be sure to keep reading! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Chana: Yep. The bandana suits me well. Good choice! Definitely try the restaurant - you won't be disappointed.

Erin: Ha! Thanks for the compliments on the onc's bling. :)

Alexis: How neat you stumbled on this blog. Thanks for your comment and interest! I hope you enjoy reading - feel free to comment whenever. I found your blog and will check it out, too!